Learn how to force the Magento shopping cart - or any Magento page - to use SSL. This can improve customer confidence and conversion rates and is so simple to achieve that you should be doing it!
Everyone knows how to load a product by an ID, but this isn't always enough to access the product you're after. Fortunately, Magento provides several simple mechanisms to quickly retrieve product and category data based on attributes such as name, URL or any other attribute you're using. This article illustrates how to do this efficiently so you can get the data you want quickly and easily.
Every Magento developer has seen the 'Magento Exception Printing is Disabled by Default for Security Reasons' message and by now, most know how to configure Magento to show the error message. There are options available though that allow you to keep the security of the new system without having to discard all errors.
- There are many ways to access country information in Magento. Unfortunately, most developers use a long drawn out way when they can accomplish it in 1 line of code! In this article you will learn how to easily access an array containing country names and country codes. Using this array I will show you how to create a drop down (select box) quickly and easily in the both the Magento front end and the Magento Admin area.
Magento's use of data models provide a great way to access and modify data but sometimes, you can't beat a direct SQL query! Magento provides several ways to access the database directly and it is important to understand each way and know which one to choose. In this article learn to how to correctly query the Magento database directly.
- Sometimes delivery charges scare customers off and can lower your chance of making a sale. A great way to combat this is to work the price of delivery into the product price and offer free delivery. In this article I will show you a way to make global changes to product prices in only a few minutes!
- During my time working on Magento projects, I would estimate that at least 50% of sites don't have cron jobs enabled! This figure is so crazily high considering how easy cron jobs are to setup and how useful they can be! In this article I will show you: a) how to set up a cron job for any Linux server b) how to set up up the Magento cron job c) how to add your custom modules to Magento's cron tab
- Product collections in Magento provide a great way to perform complex SQL on the database without having to know any SQL (although knowing it will definitely help!). One of the key functions is addAttributeToFilter. This function adds clauses to the WHERE section of the SQL query being constructed. There are many different conditionals you can use here (Equals, Like etc) so I present them all, with explanations in list form here.
- Learn how to use static block's to make even more of your Magento store manageable via the Admin interface. Also learn the various methods of accessing this data.
- If you're working with Magento often you'll find sometimes you need to use Magento functions and classes outside of the Magento platform. In this article we will explore how to correctly do this.
- This tutorial explains how to create a custom Magento module that connects to an external database connection and lets you interact with it using the Magento framework.