Magento Full Page Cache
The best way to speed up your Magento eCommerce site is by using a full page caching system. There are several of these available but what makes Bolt so good is that in the majority of cases, the Magento framework isn't loaded and no DB connection is made! This massively improves page load time and allows your server to handle many more requests!
Bolt can be used on any server; be it a dedicated server, a VPS or even a shared server. It's used by FishPig.co.uk (in combination with Opti, see below) and allows us to keep our hosting costs way down while still having a fast and responsive site.
If you clean your whole cache, it can take a while for it to warm up again. To combat this problem, Bolt automatically cleans specific pages of your cache at particular times. As an example, each time you save a product or a CMS page in the Magento Admin, the related cache files will be cleaned.
Can I use Bolt with Opti?
Hole Punching in Bolt
Bolt now includes it's own hole punching service that can be configured from the Magento Admin. To do this, select System > Configuration > Bolt > Hole Punch. From here you can enter the names of Magento blocks that you want to be hole punched - it's that easy! Once you have made a change here, you should refresh your cache to ensure the changes are put live.
The most common hole punch configuration is for the top links block (account links, checkout/cart links etc) and the mini cart block. To add these to the hole punch, use the block names 'top.links' and 'cart_sidebar'. For the top links block, you should set this to be punched when both items are in the basket or a customer is logged in. For the mini cart, you should set to be hole punched when there are items in the basket.
Have Your Say...
If you have used Bolt - Magento Full Page Cache and want to share your opinion, you can leave a review by clicking here.
- Iain ShuttlewoodReally pleased with my purchase. Has definitely sped up my site and the advice from Ben was excellent. He went above and beyond, making small amendments to my site for me to improve it. Would recommend the software and Ben to anybody. I also purchased Opti and the two combined worked perfectly.
- Mike GExtremely pleased with the speed of this extension. I had a slight problem with it when it was installed as I have a complicated store setup, however Ben was quick to rectify that by rewriting part of the extension to suit my specific stores needs. I recommend Bolt and I also recommend Ben the developer for his awesome support. We use this extension with Opti also
- SerhiyI am very pleased with my purchase; extension works really well and my pages are flying... and i want to thank to Ben, who's been really helpful with support and fixing a few issues related to my site. HIHGLY RECOMMEND!!!!
- works goodI use Bolt and Opti. And it really is way faster than before.
- Michele B.One of the best improvements I've ever seen on a store. It's now insanely fast, whereas it was quite possibly the slowest website I had ever built. This along with Opti are a must have for any decent sized store (and any store, period).
Plus support is very corteous and answers quickly, both for this and other extensions. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had in a while.
- Dan F.After dealing with slow magento speeds for the past year I was excited to see Fishpig launched an affordable full page cache extension. I'd had good experience before with Fishpig giving me some help with their Magento/ Wordpress integration.
I couldn't be happier with Bolt, some of my configurable products have thousands of simple products attached and used to take 10-15 seconds for the page to load. With Bolt, those product pages are loading in about a second and many of my CMS pages are well under a second. Ben has also been very helpful, solving a couple small hiccups for me quickly and with good communication.
I highly recommend Bolt and Fishpig.
- Pete WilliamsI finally replaced mturbo with BOLT and could not be happier. It was an easy switch and only took Ben form FishPig about 15 minutes to complete. Since then, I have warmed the cache and can confirm that my site is majorly faster than before and I can't wait to see how this affects my conversion rate and google ranking.
Great support from Ben and thank you for a very quick turn around
- Dean RoyalAfter using Opti to great effect, I was eager to try Bolt on my new side project (small budget so a slow server). Ben told me that it was much faster than Opti and could also be used at the same time (disable Opti cache and just use the minify features). I can attest to the quality of Bolt as my site is now super fast.
Before installing Bolt, ensure that you have disabled your Magento compiler and cache.
You can install Bolt just like any other Magento extension by uploading the .tgz file in your Magento Downloader (Magento Connect) or by extracting the files and merging them with your site using FTP.
After installing Bolt, open up your index.php file and add the following to the top (just after the <?php tag):